Lemon bread… What’s not to love? I mean seriously could there be any food more cheery?! This lemon quick bread is super easy to make! The hardest part is waiting for the bread to bake in the oven!
Yes, I could definitely go for some of this lemon bread right now. Here in the midwest our weather was so bomb for a while until about 5 days ago… So long are the nice warm days with the sun shining. Now I don’t think it has stopped raining since Sunday! On top of that it is cold (39 degrees right now and it is almost May!) and windy. Yes, yes, I know I am complaining but really we open our pool in 2 weeks (not that I am counting) and it better be warmed up by then!
About 4 years ago we moved into a new house and we had a pool put in. Each year I go for a “polar plunge” in the pool. You see when our pool gets opened it takes awhile for it to warm up. But rather than waiting 2 loooonnnngggg days, I decided to jump in when the pool temp is about 55 degrees, because why not? Granite I literally dive off the diving board and get out, then spend all evening trying to get warm, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Some years I have been able to convince my sister, or even some naive friends of mine to join me. This year I am plotting to have some of my cousins join me (this is where the evil smiley face would be inserted if I knew how to insert an evil smiley face).
OK I better stop talking about the freezing polar plunge I will be soon taking (literally when you dive in it feels like the worst brain freeze of your life) because this ice-cold water talk is really not helping with the fact that I am freezing right now because it is still not above 40 today! So I will just dream about this nice summery lemon bread, that should be eaten on the patio with the sun in your face (or if you are like me, in front of a fire-place, pretending you are on a patio in the sun).
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temp
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
For the lemon syrup:
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9×5 loaf pan (or similar sized pan) with cooking spray. Set aside.
2) Using an electric or handheld mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium high speed until blended, about 2-3 minutes. One at a time add the eggs, beating well after each addition. Turn the mixer to a low speed and slowly add flour, milk, and lemon zest. Beat just until blended and smooth.
3) Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs, about 45-60 minutes.
4) Meanwhile, make the lemon syrup. Using a fork, whisk together sugar and lemon juice.
5) Once the bread is removed from the oven, gently poke holes in the bread using a fork. Drizzle syrup oven the hot bread. Allow bread to cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove bread and allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Bread stays good airtight at room temp for up to 5 days.
Recipe from William-Sonoma